The California Attorney General race — between Steve Cooley and Kamala Harris — is the most important election contest affecting medical cannabis patients. A win for Los Angeles District Attorney Cooley could devastate the gains we have made in bringing safe access to medical cannabis for Californian patients.
Cooley is not cool! He is on record opposing the sales of medical marijuana and has a long history of complicating the local regulatory process. If elected, Cooley could criminalize the sale of medical marijuana and aggressively raid dispensaries around the state. If elected, Cooley could reverse the 2008 California Attorney General Guidelines, jeopardizing rights now afforded to patients and providers across the state. As Attorney General, Cooley will likely work to overturn important legal precedents in the courts.
According to a recent Field poll, Cooley is ahead by several percentage points! We must reverse this trend! A win for Cooley would be disastrous for the more than 400,000 medical cannabis patients in California. Let’s use our collective leverage to make sure Cooley is not elected as the next Attorney General of California!
Los Angeles District Attorney Steve Cooley is running for California Attorney General in the November 2010 election and must be defeated. Cooley has been a consistent and vocal opponent of safe access to medical marijuana. No single electoral race in California will affect the medical marijuana community more. In response, Americans for Safe Access has launched a campaign to defeat Cooley this November. Go to www.NotCooley.com for more info.
- LA District Attorney Steve Cooley must be defeated in the California Attorney General race if we hope to advance medical marijuana and other issues facing the state
- Cooley has been a consistent and vocal opponent of access to medical marijuana, declaring “sales” to be illegal and conducting numerous raids of dispensaries
- In 2009, Cooley participated in a training on the “eradication” of medical marijuana dispensaries hosted by the California Narcotics Officers Association (CNOA)
- Cooley has defied local medical marijuana law and the LA City Council, calling them “irrelevant”
If elected, Cooley could:
- Dismantle the gains made by medical marijuana patients over the past 14 years
- Reverse the Attorney General Guidelines which have helped establish the legality of dispensaries in California
- Continue with, and possibly even increase aggressive raids of dispensaries in California
- Work with the DEA to undermine the full implementation of state law
- Work to establish and overturn important legal precedents in the courts
Participate in the NotCooley campaign by:
- Registering yourself and others to vote in the November election
- Mobilizing others to vote against Cooley
- Send people you know to www.NotCooley.com to donate to the campaign, download materials, and find other ways to participate
We need your help to defeat Cooley. The first step is to get every patient signed up to vote by October 18th, 2010! Are you registered to vote? Is your voter registration current? If not, register to vote now.
Defeating Cooley will avert the greatest threat to medical cannabis we presently face in California. Sign up now to join the Not Cooley campaign.
Who should be our next Attorney General? Not Cooley!
We need your help to be sure Steve Cooley is not elected as California Attorney General on November 2. Follow these simple steps to do your part:
- Register to vote before October 18, 2010. Make it your goal to get your friends and loved ones registered, too!
- Talk to others about why Steve Cooley is a bad choice for California. Most voters trust their friends and family more than media or politicians when it comes to voting. Find out more about alternative candidates, like San Francisco District Attorney Kamala Harris – who shares California’s values when it comes to the environment, equality, and compassion.
- Be sure to vote and encourage others to do so on November 2. A good turnout is the best way to beat Steve Cooley!
- Sign up for the mailing list at www.NotCooley.com to stay up to date on the “Not Cooley” campaign.
Download a NotCooley color Flyer to post
Download a Sign up sheet
Download a NotCooley Sticker
Thanks for you help.