Helps nurses to provide the best and safest care for patients suffering from chronic pain
This is the first book to discuss the use of medical cannabis in helping combat the opioid crisis, relieving pain, and reversing opioid addiction rates. With the information presented in short chapters with bulleted content, this concise resource delivers all the information health care professionals need to know about non-cancer-related chronic pain, the opioid crisis, and medical cannabis. Using the most up-to-date evidence available, it examines the varied causes of chronic pain and provides a succinct overview of how cannabis can be integrated into treatment plans.
Fast Facts about Medical Cannabis and Opioids delves into the epidemiology behind chronic pain, what the endocannabinoid system is, and how it works. It examines the complex interactions of opiates, cannabinoids, and the central nervous system and to answer key questions about different types of medical cannabis to promote open, honest conversations. Above all, this handbook seeks to provide you with the tools to provide unbiased, accurate information to share with patients.
- Delivers a comprehensive overview of the opioid crisis in the U.S and the benefits and drawbacks of medical cannabis as an alternative or supplement to opioids
- Discusses dos and don’ts of recommending medical cannabis to patients
- Provides the most up-to-date information on cannabis legislation
- Covers the endocannabinoid system and its biology
- Compares the of use opioids and/or medical cannabis for managing chronic pain
- Presents key information in short chapters, bulleted content, and figures plus “Fast Facts” boxes that highlight key content