Pennsylvania Healthcare Provider Education: Medical Use of Marijuana
The Pennsylvania Healthcare Provider Education: Medical use of Marijuana is an online curriculum is designed to educate physicians to become a practitioner with the Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana Program. Successful completion of the course meets the requirements set forth by the Pennsylvania Department of Health Medical Marijuana Program and meets the Pennsylvania medical practitioner requirement of 4 hour course as outlined in current Pennsylvania law.
If you have more than 11 Health Care Professionals to enroll, call us at 844.411.0500 to discuss group pricing.
The Medical Marijuana 411 Physician Education for the Pennsylvania Healthcare Provider Education is an online curriculum is designed to educate physicians to become a practitioner with the Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana Program. Successful completion of the course meets the requirements set forth by the Pennsylvania Department of Health Medical Marijuana Program and meets the Pennsylvania medical practitioner requirement of 4 hour course as outlined in current Pennsylvania law.
Course is available online from October, 1 2022 through September, 30 2023
Estimated time to complete activity: 6 hours
If you are a medical group or network and need multi-seat pricing, please call 844.411.0500.
Continuing Education Information
This continuing education activity is provided through collaboration between the Medical Marijuana 411 (MM411) and AffinityCE. This activity provides continuing education credit for physicians, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, nurses, pharmacists, and pharmacy technicians. A statement of participation is available for other attendees.
AffinityCE designates this enduring activity for a maximum of 6 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physician assistants should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of AffinityCE and the MM411. AffinityCE is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
State Legal Status
- Medical Marijuana
- Recreational Marijuana
- Industrial Hemp
- Medical Marijuana Patients and Designated Providers
- Patient Qualifications
- Designated Caregivers
- Minor Patients
- Steps for obtaining a Medical Marijuana ID Card
- Caregivers Steps
- Additional Information for Patients and Designated Caregivers
- Medical Providers and Authorization Forms
- Providers that can recommend medical marijuana
- Qualifying Medical Conditions
- Mental Health Conditions
- Additional Information for Physicians and Practitioners Regarding Providing Certifications
- On-Premise Consultants
- Duties and Responsibilities
- Patient and Caregiver Registry
- Federal Prosecution
- Additional Information for Patient and Caregiver Registry
- Medical Marijuana Compliant Products
- THC Concentrations
- Approved Products
- Additional Information
- Product Packaging and Labeling Requirements
- Medical Marijuana Forms and Patient ID Examples
CE Learning Objectives
Module 1: History and Legal Landscape
- Evaluate the legal context in which cannabis can be discussed with patients, given it is legal in many states, but still recognized as a federally illegal substance.
- Compare the historical medicinal uses of marijuana to modern resurgence in patient use of medical marijuana.
- Assess the lack of clinical studies related to Schedule 1 classification of marijuana.
Module 2: The Endocannabinoid System:
- Evaluate how cannabinoids interact with receptors, based on research conducted since the discovery of the endocannabinoid system.
- Interpret the function of the endocannabinoid system in the regulation of the body.
Module 3: Cannabinoids and Terpenes:
- Differentiate major and minor cannabinoids.
- Summarize how cannabinoids and terpenes affect the endocannabinoid receptor system.
Module 4: Studies on Therapeutic Uses:
- Assess the pros and cons of cannabinoids and their effects on various medical conditions.
Module 5: Cannabis and Opioids in Chronic Pain Treatment:
- Evaluate the research studies regarding opioids versus cannabinoids in the treatment of the symptoms of chronic pain.
Module 6: Side Effects, Chronic Effects and Misuse:
- Analyze the side effects, contraindications, and safety concerns of medicinal cannabis.
- Identify signs of abuse, misuse, and chronic effect of marijuana use.
The activity is an educational overview of medical cannabis in its current legal context in the US. Currently there are 2.1 million registered medical marijuana patients and there are an estimated 3.5 million patients using medical marijuana nationwide. The constantly changing legal environment in which cannabis can be used in the United States has resulted in confusion forboth physicians and patients. Currently, 34 states have legalized medical marijuana and 17 states have also legalized recreational marijuana. Due to the lack of knowledge of the legality of discussing medical marijuana, physicians, nurses and pharmacists are hesitant to discuss with their patients. The lack of communication between the patient and physician can lead to the patient self-medicating with no guidance from a medical professional.
Dr. Cox has no financial interest to disclose.
AffinityCE staff, MMM411 staff, and planning and review committees have no financial interests to disclose.
Mitigation of Relevant Financial Relationships
AffinityCE adheres to the ACCME’s Standards for Integrity and Independence in Accredited Continuing Education. Any individuals in a position to control the content of a CME activity, including faculty, planners, reviewers, or others, are required to disclose all relevant financial relationships with ineligible entities (commercial interests). All relevant conflicts of interest have been mitigated prior to the commencement of the activity.
DR. JACK COX, MD MMM, CMO
Dr. Jack Cox is a senior healthcare executive with over 25 years’ experience in regional and national senior leadership positions. Areas of expertise and experience include strategic development of performance improvement systems, innovation, clinical program strategic development and implementation, leadership development, large program operations, education, research and national and international publishing and speaking.
Dr. Cox is a board certified Family Physician, a fellow of the American Board of Family Practice, a fellow of the American College of Physician Executives & holds a master’s degree in Medical Management from Tulane University. He has been named one of Becker’s Top 100 CMO’s to know in 2014 & 2016 & has authored 4 books.
Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 1.47.55 PM
You may also like
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.