Medical Marijuana Continuing Medical Education – Physician
This activity has been designed to meet the educational needs of physicians involved in the care of patients who are considering using medical marijuana as part of their care plan in States that recognize marijuana as a medical treatment.
Course is available online from October 1, 2022 through September 30, 2023
Estimated time to complete activity: 6 hours
If you are a medical group or network and need multi-seat pricing for groups larger than 10 people, please call 844.411.0500
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of AffinityCE and the MM411. AffinityCE is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The activity is an educational overview of medical cannabis in its current legal context in the US. Currently there are 2.1 million registered medical marijuana patients and there are an estimated 3.5 million patients using medical marijuana nationwide. The constantly changing legal environment in which cannabis can be used in the United States has resulted in confusion for both physicians and patients. Currently, 37 US states have legalized medical marijuana and 19 US states and territories have also legalized recreational marijuana. Due to the lack of knowledge of the legality of discussing medical marijuana, physicians, nurses and pharmacists are hesitant to discuss with their patients. The lack of communication between the patient and physician can lead to the patient self-medicating with no guidance from a medical professional.
Module 1: History and Legal Landscape
- Evaluate the legal context in which cannabis can be discussed with patients, given it is legal in many states, but still recognized as a federally illegal substance
- Compare the historical medicinal uses of marijuana to modern resurgence in patient use of medical marijuana.
- Assess the lack of clinical studies related to Schedule 1 classification of marijuana.
Module 2: The Endocannabinoid System:
- Evaluate how cannabinoids interact with receptors, based on research conducted since the discovery of the endocannabinoid system.
- Interpret the function of the endocannabinoid system in the regulation of the body.
Module 3: Cannabinoids and Terpenes:
- Differentiate major and minor cannabinoids.
- Summarize how cannabinoids and terpenes affect the endocannabinoid receptor system.
Module 4: Studies on Therapeutic Uses:
- Assess the pros and cons of cannabinoids and their effects on various medical conditions.
Module 5: Cannabis and Opioids in Chronic Pain Treatment:
- Evaluate the research studies regarding opioids versus cannabinoids in the treatment of the symptoms of chronic pain.
Module 6: Side Effects, Chronic Effects and Misuse:
- Analyze the side effects, contraindications, and safety concerns of medicinal cannabis.
- Identify signs of abuse, misuse, and chronic effect of marijuana use.
Dr. Cox has no financial interest to disclose.
AffinityCE staff, MMM411 staff, and planning and review committees have no financial interests to disclose.
Mitigation of Relevant Financial Relationships
AffinityCE adheres to the ACCME’s Standards for Integrity and Independence in Accredited Continuing Education. Any individuals in a position to control the content of a CME activity, including faculty, planners, reviewers, or others, are required to disclose all relevant financial relationships with ineligible entities (commercial interests). All relevant conflicts of interest have been mitigated prior to the commencement of the activity.
DR. JACK COX, MD MMM, CMO
Dr. Jack Cox is a senior healthcare executive with over 25 years’ experience in regional and national senior leadership positions. Areas of expertise and experience include strategic development of performance improvement systems, innovation, clinical program strategic development and implementation, leadership development, large program operations, education, research and national and international publishing and speaking.
Dr. Cox is a board certified Family Physician, a fellow of the American Board of Family Practice, a fellow of the American College of Physician Executives & holds a master’s degree in Medical Management from Tulane University. He has been named one of Becker’s Top 100 CMO’s to know in 2014 & 2016 & has authored 4 books.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.