Dr. Raphael Mechoulam
About Dr. Raphael Mechoulam
Dr. Mechoulam has been researching Medicinal Marijuana as a professor at the Hebrew University Medical and Pharmaceutical Schools since 1972. His accomplishments and academic record have laid the foundation for the future of cannabis research.
- Discoverer of THC, the psychoactive component of Medical Marijuana.
- Published more than 350 scientific articles
- Determined the structure chemical compounds known as cannabinoids, found primarily in the resin glands in the bud of the female.
- His research group determined the structure of CBD (cannabidiol), in 1963.
- First synthesis the major plant cannabinoids THVΔ9 tetrahydrocannabinol, cannabidiol, cannabigerol and other cannabinoids.
- Isolation of the first described endocannabinoid, Anandamide
- 2-AG was discovered by one of his PhD students.