Utah Qualified Medical Provider Certification
Above pricing is for a single seat purchase, see below for multi-seat pricing.
The Medical Marijuana 411 online curriculum is designed to educate physicians, physician assistants, pharmacists and nurse practitioners about medical marijuana based on research and unbiased content. The Utah Qualified Medical Provider Certification course has been approved by the Utah Department of Health. This course meets or exceeds the Utah DOH, Center for Medical Cannabis Qualified Medical Provider Continuing Education Requirement, of a minimum of 4 hours of CE to become a registered, qualified practitioner with the Utah Department of Health under Utah Code 26-61a-106 (3).
If you are a medical group or network and need multi-seat pricing, please call 844.411.0500
|Quantity||Discount||Price Per Item|
About this Curriculum
This online curriculum by Medical Marijuana 411 is designed to educate physicians, physician assistants, pharmacists and nurse practitioners about medical marijuana based on research and unbiased content. The Utah Qualified Medical Provider Certification course has been approved by the Utah Department of Health.
This course meets or exceeds the Utah DOH, Center for Medical Cannabis Qualified Medical Provider Continuing Education Requirement, of a minimum of 4 hours of CE to become a registered, qualified practitioner with the Utah Department of Health under Utah Code 26-61a-106 (3).
Course is available online from October 2022 through September 2023
Estimated time to complete activity: 6 hours
If you are a medical group or network and need multi-seat pricing, please call 844.411.0500.
Registration requirements and instructions are available online on the DOH website.
More information about the Utah Medical Cannabis Act and medical provider training is available at medicalcannabis.utah.govor (801)538-6504.
Continuing Education Information
This continuing education activity is provided through collaboration between the Medical Marijuana 411 (MM411) and AffinityCE. This activity provides continuing education credit for physicians, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, nurses, pharmacists, and pharmacy technicians. A statement of participation is available for other attendees.
AffinityCE designates this enduring activity for a maximum of 6 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physician assistants should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of AffinityCE and the MM411. AffinityCE is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The activity is an educational overview of medical cannabis in its current legal context in the US. Currently there are 2.1 million registered medical marijuana patients and there are an estimated 3.5 million patients using medical marijuana nationwide. The constantly changing legal environment in which cannabis can be used in the United States has resulted in confusion for both physicians and patients. Currently, 37 states have legalized medical marijuana and 19 states have also legalized recreational marijuana. Due to the lack of knowledge of the legality of discussing medical marijuana, physicians, nurses and pharmacists are hesitant to discuss with their patients. The lack of communication between the patient and physician can lead to the patient self-medicating with no guidance from a medical professional.
Utah Legal Overview
- Utah Medical Cannabis Act
- Qualifying Conditions
- Applying for a medical cannabis card through their qualified medical provider (QMP)
- Definition of QMP
- Requirements to recommend medical cannabis
- Participation in the Medical Cannabis Program
- Four types of medical cannabis patient cards
- Utah State Legal Statutes – Definitions and Provisions
- Definition, differentiations and cultivation, processing, medical recommendation, and patient use of medical cannabis under the Utah Medical Cannabis Act
- Differentiates between the cultivation, processing and production of cannabis as outlined in the Utah Medical Cannabis Act
- Approved methodologies and dosage for medical cannabis
- Approved forms of cannabis; ways to medicate
- Changes from 9.16.19 Special Legislative Session – allows for patients to receive a standard 30-day supply of medical cannabis, regardless of their distance to a Medical Cannabis Pharmacy.
- Licensing and Regulation – Medical Providers and Cannabis Pharmacies
- Qualifying Medical Provider (QMP)
- Patient Limitations
- Exceptions – Hospice and Palliative Care
- Petition for more clients
- Electronic Documentation Requirements
- Patient Counseling Requirements
- Medical Cannabis Pharmacies
- Overview and age requirements
- Changes from 9.16.19 Special Legislative Session
- State Central Fill Pharmacy and Local Health Department – REMOVED
- Increase of Medical Cannabis Pharmacies from seven to fourteen
- Home Delivery
- State Central Patient Portal
- Packaging, Labeling and Tracking Requirements
- What must be on medical cannabis labels
- Transaction database requirements
- Qualifying Medical Provider (QMP)
CE Learning Objectives
Module 1: History and Legal Landscape
- Evaluate the legal context in which cannabis can be discussed with patients, given it is legal in many states, but still recognized as a federally illegal substance.
- Compare the historical medicinal uses of marijuana to modern resurgence in patient use of medical marijuana.
- Assess the lack of clinical studies related to Schedule 1 classification of marijuana.
Module 2: The Endocannabinoid System:
- Evaluate how cannabinoids interact with receptors, based on research conducted since the discovery of the endocannabinoid system.
- Interpret the function of the endocannabinoid system in the regulation of the body.
Module 3: Cannabinoids and Terpenes:
- Differentiate major and minor cannabinoids.
- Summarize how cannabinoids and terpenes affect the endocannabinoid receptor system.
Module 4: Studies on Therapeutic Uses:
- Assess the pros and cons of cannabinoids and their effects on various medical conditions.
Module 5: Cannabis and Opioids in Chronic Pain Treatment:
- Evaluate the research studies regarding opioids versus cannabinoids in the treatment of the symptoms of chronic pain.
Module 6: Side Effects, Chronic Effects and Misuse:
- Analyze the side effects, contraindications, and safety concerns of medicinal cannabis.
- Identify signs of abuse, misuse, and chronic effect of marijuana use.
Dr. Cox has no financial interest to disclose.
AffinityCE staff, MMM411 staff, and planning and review committees have no financial interests to disclose.
Mitigation of Relevant Financial Relationships
AffinityCE adheres to the ACCME’s Standards for Integrity and Independence in Accredited Continuing Education. Any individuals in a position to control the content of a CME activity, including faculty, planners, reviewers, or others, are required to disclose all relevant financial relationships with ineligible entities (commercial interests). All relevant conflicts of interest have been mitigated prior to the commencement of the activity.
DR. JACK COX, MD MMM, CMO
Dr. Jack Cox is a senior healthcare executive with over 25 years’ experience in regional and national senior leadership positions. Areas of expertise and experience include strategic development of performance improvement systems, innovation, clinical program strategic development and implementation, leadership development, large program operations, education, research and national and international publishing and speaking.
Dr. Cox is a board certified Family Physician, a fellow of the American Board of Family Practice, a fellow of the American College of Physician Executives & holds a master’s degree in Medical Management from Tulane University. He has been named one of Becker’s Top 100 CMO’s to know in 2014 & 2016 & has authored 4 books.
Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 1.35.41 PM
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.